Thursday, July 13, 2006

AN INTERLUDE WITH DEATH

What do you say to Death when he's standing beside you,
his bony, time worn hand stretched beseechingly toward you?
The gesture is almost comforting,
almost gentle.
The pleading of a lover, the insistence of a friend.
Do you tell him "No, not today,"
Do you tell him "Never, go away!"?
Can one evade Death like taxes or the Dentist?
Where would we be without an end?
The story would just never stop...
what a bore!
Death stood at my shoulder the other day
whispering sweet somethings in my ear.
They weren't words that one could hear, but I felt them loud and clear.
Death said to me, he said,
"Happiness, erase the sadness with my embrace,"
Death sang, "Come, end this pointless race...
come with me and we shall dance.
We shalll dance among the stars
We shall dance beneath the seas
We shall dance beyond it all and back again."
What do you say to an offer like that?
What do you say to Death when he's standing beside you,
his bony, time-worn hand stretched beseechingly toward you?
Can one just say "NO" to his tender caress?
Well, I shook my head, sorrow deep in my voice
I said, "I can't right now, but soon, someday soon we shall dance."
Death kissed me regretfully on the mouth
and that is why the complacent always flee from my words.
My love returns to me someday, to take me close and far away
He comes for you also,
so dress nicely, and practice your waltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment